Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Racoon Eyes Anyone?

Wow! It's been a full year since my last post, and for that I apologize. But it's got me thinking...I wonder how all of my faithful followers have possibly managed in the absence of regular doses of my witty humor and outstanding taste in footwear. Hmmm...I shall ponder the effects of my neglect at a later date.Peter Thomas Roth "Power K Eye Rescue" . I have used PTR in the past with great success. They offer an amazing line of products with high concentrations of glycolic acid, which is great for battling acne while simultaneously offering some anti-aging benefits. As per the the printing on the jar, PTR Power K Eye Rescue is an "eye treatment for dark circles and fine lines. With: vitamin K in liposomes, anti-oxidants, vitamin C, green tea, kijic acid, co-enzyme Q-10 encapsulated in caviar-like beads, citrus bioflavonoids, and arnica".


Lately I have been aware, now more than ever, of the imminent aging of my skin, especially the skin on my face. This led me to (not so) slightly obsess about the area around my eyes. My bitter reality with my dark circles around my eyes is that unless I take both preventative and restorative measures now, they'll only get worse and I'll be forever self-conscious; a future that I simply can not accept.

In recognition of this, I started my quest for the perfect eye cream. A quest which has proved to be a much more difficult task than I had initially anticipated. I was expecting to march into Sephora, tell the skin care expert to give me their best eye cream for dark circles, toss a big fat wad of cash at the cashier, and sprint home to erase my dark circles in a single application. That's a fair expectation, right? Yeah, not so much.

Out of respect for a dear friend of mine I have been trying to give rival beauty retailer Ulta a fair trial as a possible alternative when my beloved Sephora isn't available. I can't help but scrutinize the competition and in my mind, catalogue their shortcomings. Hey, I'm a Virgo...criticism is what we do best (but understand that criticism is a paver on the path to perfection and, after all, most Virgo's are perfectionists)! During a visit to Ulta last week, I approached a sales person near the skin care area to ask her recommendation to address my problem. While she was not very knowledgeable about each specific product that was offered at Ulta, I was able to walk away with a key piece of information...Vitamin K is essential in the repair and prevention of dark circles.

When I got home that evening, I started more research into this Vitamin K thing and that's when I stumbled on


I can't be certain that I've chosen the "best" in eye creams, but in the meantime, I thought I'd share my experience in a real-time trial of Peter Thomas Roth's "Power K Eye Rescue". As any of my olive-skinned, allergy suffering compadres will tell you, dark circles are the bain of our existence. No matter what we do, they don't seem to go away and covering them up is next to impossible, unless of course you don't mind the obvious appearance of concealer. Throw in allergy season, and fuggedabouit!

I took some "before" pictures to serve as a reference point for the months to follow. CAUTION: this post contains graphic images of under eye darkness. Viewer discretion is advised.



















I used an application technique that I learned while working at Canyon Ranch; using your ring fingers, take a small amount of the product and dab it around the eye area. The thought process behind this technique is that the ring fingers are the weakest and least dexterous on the hand thus minimizing the possibility of causing damage to the delicate skin around the eyes. Upon initial application, I noticed a cooling sensation that subsided after about a minute. There's a distinct feeling of tightening, and combined with the cooling, is quite refreshing. I plan to use the entire jar before forming my official conclusion as to the treatment's effectiveness.

I am very interested to hear everyone else's experiences with the skin care products you love and the ones that were utter disappointments. Please leave your comments for all to see.



3 comments:

Jenifer Lyn Photography said...

I'm on the same quest - perfect timing on this post!!! I should have known you would be, too. :-)

I DEFINITELY want to hear how this works out for you. Maybe I'll take a drive to Sephora and see what I can find and do a trial of my own. Then we can compare!

Jessica White said...

I have also tried Ole Henriksen's Fresh Start Eye Cream but that's actually not for dark circles. It felt really nice and I noticed improved texture of the skin in the area, but it wasn't enough to effect the truly problematic area.

Anonymous said...

Yes exactly, in some moments I can say that I approve of with you, but you may be considering other options.
to the article there is even now a without question as you did in the decrease delivery of this solicitation www.google.com/ie?as_q=neo trace 3.25 pro ?
I noticed the utter you procure not used. Or you profit by the dark methods of inspiriting of the resource. I suffer with a week and do necheg