Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Urban Decay = Suburban Hooray!

Cosmetic manufacturer Urban Decay has partnered with Ulta Beauty to offer one of the best gift-with-purchase promotions I've seen in some time. With any $20 Urban Decay purchase, you'll receive not one, but TWO deluxe sample size 24/7 Eyeliner pencils (*while supplies last, of course). A "deluxe sample" is traditionally 1/2 the size of the full-sized product. At $17 each, these eyeliners aren't exactly at the bottom of the cosmetic affordability scale. Then again, they don't hold anything to Sisley-Paris Kohl Perfect Eyeliner at $53 each.


 
Living a ways outside of the "city", I have taken to more than my fair share of online shopping, a claim I'm certain Dameone will be quick to confirm. There was no exception this time around when I received an email from Ulta advertising this promotion. I was clicking through the enitre Urban Decay line of products, trying to decide which items were missing from my makeup collection (concealer and a pencil sharpener) when I stumbled on a little disclaimer about this gift-with-purchase: that I was not allowed to pick which colors my new eyeliners would be! I wasn't too pleased with this, since Urban Decay offers the 24/7 Eyeliner in 22 amazing colors. While many of them are suitable for my skin coloring, there are more than a few that would look posatively dreadful on me. Relying on some stock clerk at the Ulta warehouse to grab whichever two eyeliners are at the top of the pile is a risk I was simply not willing to take.

I had the chance
to go into the "city" yesterday and while I was there, I hit up Old Navy and Ulta. I got a super cute dress during the Old Navy Sunny Dresses & Skirts sale before meandering two doors down to Ulta just to see if maybe I'd be able to select colors for the Urban Decay GWP. Sure enough, I could! I tried a couple colors of concealer, which I'm glad I did in person because the color I had in mind from the website turned out to be far too light for my lovely mocha-colored skin. I decided on Urban Decay 24/7 Consealer in "NSA". At $17, I was still short of the $20 minimum purchase so I grabbed a Grind House pencil sharpener to push me over the edge. For the GWP, I went for colors that were not only unlike anything else I had in my collection, but also colors that I wouldn't ordinarily spend money on. That criteria in mind, I selected "electric", a bright aquamarine, and "lust", a deep purple with subtle silver sparkle.

This wouldn't be a Shoe Chronicle post without reporting some new fab pair of shoes that I have acquired. The latest addition to my already amazing footwear collection is the UGG Australia Sweater Knit Scuffette in "cream". These are quite possibly the most comfortable slippers I have ever placed my foot into. I normally have trouble getting slippers to stay snug on my feet but these go on and stay put thanks to a substantial helping of sheepskin fleece. I promise you, if these slippers had a proper sole, I would be wearing them to work everyday!



(**as always, click on pictures to see the images full-size**)

No comments: